Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing 16

I was on LibraryThing for about two hours. What an amazing resource; where was it when I was taking cataloging? I tagged books from my "books about books" unit, and found others listed under similar tags. ThingLang seems like a good shortcut to me, but I imagine similar resources exist within the ISBN system. ISBNcheck is also useful. I looked up C.S. Lewis in the "I See Dead People's Books" group, but it seemed to be more of a cataloging co-op than a list of his books - maybe I misunderstood? The same thing happened with Astrid Lindgren. "Look at Librarians Who LibraryThing" was fun. I got caught up in many different threads, including one on the newest Harry Potter movie. I found a group on children's fiction, and I was interested to read other people's favorite childhood books. Other writers were attempting to remember titles of books, and of course many readers responded instantly. We do this on a small scale in my district, but of course this is a much larger forum and the answers come very quickly. One more group to mention: "Books Everyone Loves and You Hate." Lots of good threads to follow there.

No comments:

Post a Comment